Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Annual Arctic Report Card Shows Stronger Effects of Warming
October 16, 2008
Temperature increases, a near-record loss of summer sea ice, and a melting of surface ice in Greenland are among some of the evidence of continued warming in the Arctic, according to an annual review of conditions in the Arctic issued today by NOAA and its university, agency, and international partners.
“Changes in the Arctic show a domino effect from multiple causes more clearly than in other regions,” said James Overland, an oceanographer at NOAA’s Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory in Seattle and a lead author of the report. “It’s a sensitive system and often reflects changes in relatively fast and dramatic ways.”
One example of these changes in arctic climate is the autumn air temperatures which are at a record 5 degrees C (9 degrees F) above normal, because of the major loss of sea ice in recent years. The loss of sea ice allows more solar heating of the ocean. That warming of the air and ocean affects land and marine life, and reduces the amount of winter sea ice that lasts into the following summer. The year 2007 was the warmest on record for the Arctic, continuing a general Arctic-wide warming trend that began in the mid-1960s.
The Arctic Report Card, a product introduced by NOAA’s Climate Program Office in 2006, establishes a baseline of conditions in that region in the 21st century and provides a way of monitoring the often quickly changing conditions. It is updated annually in October and tracks the Arctic atmosphere, sea ice, biology, ocean, land and Greenland.
In this year’s report card, three of the six areas (atmosphere, sea ice, and Greenland) are coded red on the Report Card, indicating that the changes are strongly attributed to warming. The three remaining areas (biology, ocean, land) are coded yellow, indicating mixed signals. The 2007 Report Card had two red areas (atmosphere and sea ice) and four coded yellow.
“The Arctic Report Card is one of the few opportunities for a team of researchers to work together to provide a very broad look at the state of the Arctic system,” said the report’s chief editor Jackie Richter-Menge from the USACE Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory in Hanover, N.H. “The information combines to tell a story of widespread and, in some cases, dramatic effects of an overall warming of the Arctic system.”
The report’s other contributing lead authors are from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute in Woods Hole, Mass.; the Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, Fairbanks, Alaska; Byrd Polar Research Center, Columbus, Ohio; and Environment Canada, Whitehorse, Yukon. NOAA understands and predicts changes in the Earth's environment, from the depths of the ocean to the surface of the sun, and conserves and manages our coastal and marine resources.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
It's voting season. Early voting has begun in many states and it's time to Vote Hemp.
Senator Barack Obama is pro hemp.
Please vote Obama-Biden '08.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
Now is the time for all good people to come to the aid of our planet.
Key to solving the problem of global warming is a shift back to natural, safe energies including hemp.
Hemp burns clean and scrubs the air of excess CO2 as it grows.
For more on how we can use hemp to help us solve our problems now, please visit the USA Hemp Museum, www.hempmuseum.org
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Monday, October 13, 2008
Here's a powerful webeo on how hemp can help us save ourselves from the ravages of stupidity.
It's from the industrial side of the discussion, and even though the hemp movement is in chaos with the industrial, medical, recreational and spiritual communities thinking we're different. Imagine what will happen when we unify.
Here's the information from the Youtube webeo posted above. Enjoy and support the reinstitution of hemp into our society.
Our grandchildren will be glad you did.
· Deaths per year resulting from alcohol: 100,000
· Deaths per year resulting from tobacco: 430,000
· Deaths per year resulting from aspirin: 180- 1000
· Deaths per year resulting from legal drugs: 106,000
· Deaths that have ever occurred in direct result of Cannabis: 0 (that's right zero)
· Farming 6\% of the continental U.S. acreage with biomass crops (Hemp) would provide all of America's Energy needs.
· Biomass can be converted into methane, methanol, or gasoline (which could eliminate our ties with the Middle East) at a cost comparable to petroleum and hemp is much better for the environment.
· Hemp fuel burns clean. Petroleum causes acid rain due to sulfur pollution.
· The use of Hemp Fuel does not contribute to global warming
· Hemp seed can be pressed into nutritious oil, which contains the highest amount of fatty acids in the plant kingdom. Essential oils are responsible for our immune system responses, and can clear the arteries of cholesterol and plaque.
· The byproduct of pressing the oil from hemp seed is a high quality protein seed cake. It can be used to bake into cakes, breads and casseroles. Hemp seed protein is one of mankind's finest, most complete, and available-to-the body vegetable proteins.
· A Vegan or vegetarian can get all of the days required protein from a handful of hemp seed.
· Hemp is the oldest cultivated fiber plant in the world.
· Low-THC fiber hemp varieties developed by the French and others have been available for over 20 years. It is impossible to get high from fiber hemp. Over 600,000 acres of hemp is grown worldwide with no misuse problem.
· One acre of hemp can produce as much usable fiber as 4 acres of trees or two acres of cotton.
· Trees cut down take 50-500 years to grow, while hemp can be cultivated in as little as 100 days and can yield 4 times more paper over a 20 year period.
· Until 1883, from 75-90\% of all paper in the world was made with cannabis hemp fiber including that for books, Bibles, maps, paper money, stocks and bonds, newspapers, etc.
· Hemp paper is longer lasting than wood pulp, stronger, acid-free, and chlorine free (Chlorine is estimated to cause up to 10\% of all Cancers).
· Hemp paper can be recycled 7 times, wood pulp 4 times.
· Hemp particleboard may be up to 2 times stronger than wood particleboard and holds nails better.
· Hemp is a softer, warmer, and more water absorbent, than cotton and doesn't stretch out.
· Half of the U.S. pesticides are used to treat cotton, while hemp has a natural pesticide.
· Almost any product that can be made from wood, cotton, or petroleum (including plastics) can be made from hemp. There are 25,000 known uses for hemp.
· For thousands of years virtually all good paints and varnishes were made with hemp seed oil and/or linseed oil.
· One acre of hemp produces as much cellulose fiber pulp as 4.1 acres of trees, making hemp a perfect material to replace trees for pressed board, particle board, and concrete construction molds.
· Heating and compressing plant fibers can create a practical, inexpensive, fire-resistant constructions material with excellent thermal and sound-insulating qualities.
· In 1941 Henry Ford built a plastic car made of fiber from hemp and wheat straw. Hemp is biodegradable, as synthetic plastic is not.
· Presidents Washington and Jefferson both grew hemp. Americans were legally bound to grow hemp during the Colonial Era and Early Republic.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Please support the WE campaign, www.wecansolveit.org , in their quest to promote non toxic solutions to the problem of global warming.
If you have not done so already, I urge you to read Richard M. Davis' book HEMP FOR VICTORY: A GLOBAL WARMING SOLUTION available at www.lulu.com/rmdavisx
In this book he gives chapter and verse on how to use hemp to solve the problems of high cost energy and global warming.
For more information on how hemp can help us solve our energy problems, please visit the USA Hemp Museum, www.hempmuseum.org
Go Ron Paul!!!
Hemp being illegal is a waste of money and causes a lot of trouble.
America's drug policy is stupid.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
The FBI is after Tommy Chong again, but this time it's for Josh Gilbert's documentary, "a/k/a Tommy Chong A Documentary By Josh Gilbert."
This is one of the greatest movies ever made, a wonderful blend of entertainment, history and wisdom .
The piece is about the arrest and imprisonment of Tommy Chong because his company sold bongs on the internet. Not weed, bongs. Tommy Chong shares the brilliance of his soul with Josh Gilbert in this touching, amusing and inspiring documentary.
We were in awe the entire film as they taught us in even greater detail the truth about America and offered a plan for how to heal it. Anybody can go to jail for any reason at any time. It has nothing to do with if you break the law's of common sense.
If you care about the world, because hemp is not just illegal in America, we urge you to purchase this DVD, a/k/a Tommy Chong, and learn how we can all be free. At least visit any of the great webeo sites and see as much as you can of this powerful film.
For more information on hemp please visit the USA Hemp Museum, a private museum with a virtual wing. The Museum is offering a Mini Hemp Museum, and with a little bit of luck, a/k/a Tommy Chong, will be included soon.
Happy, blessed hemp.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Thank you Rick Simpson and all medical marijuana patients, caregivers and growers who are standing down the evil and greed in modern medicine, the leading cause of death in America, and provide effective medicine to those of us in need of healing.
RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 1 of 7)
RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 2 of 7)
RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 3 of 7)
RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 4 of 7)
RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 5 of 7)
RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 6 of 7)
RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story (Part 7 of 7)
For more information on hemp, visit the USA Hemp Museum.